Friday, April 6, 2012

Easter Egg Cake Pops

Okay, so it's been almost 2 months since my last post. It's been a busy, working-everyday sort of time. I've tried cake pops a few times before and I know my cousin Karie loves them! I decided to venture on and try a new version of the recipe..Easter Eggs. On a stick this time too!

Everything starts the same for cake pops.

Bake a cake of your flavor choice, a box is just fine. Everything gets mashed together so I don't see the point in making a homemade one. Maybe someday I'll master my own confetti cake mix. After the cake has cooled, crumb it with a fork. I decided to leave the very edges of my cake out of the mix, as they were pretty browned and gross. Mix in 3/4 of a can of frosting. Yup, not homemade either and any flavor you want. I chose a vanilla frosting to go with the confetti cake. Then, freeze this concoction as it definitely helps in the next few steps.


Get a cookie sheeet ready with some wax paper and then shape the mix into egg shaped "balls". Mine were about the width of a quarter. My one box of cake made 40 eggs.



Melt a package of vanilla candy coating (in the past I have used almond fudge, but I like this better) in the microwave. Pour into a mug or tall cup, wide enough to fit the egg with some space. Dip the ends of the sticks into the candy and insert halfway into the egg. (I used wood skewers but after I bought these I saw lollipop sticks that would have been cuter.) Place carefully on wax paper pan and freeze when all eggs have their sticks.

I found out the second time around that the longer they sit in the freezer, the easier it is to candy coat them. But after at least 20 minutes, take out the pan. Give the candy coating another 30 second zap in the microwave and a good stir. Then carefully dip egg into candy coating. Rotate and GENTLY tap the stick on the cup to get the excess coating off of the egg. Place into styrofoam to drip dry. Some of mine still dripped quite a bit of coating down the stick, but after it dries you can break it off.

When the coating is dry and hard you can decorate! I used all kinds of sprinkles and colored sugars. Use a paint brush dipped in light corn syrup to act as "glue" for your "glitter"


 I plan on bringing these with me to my parents for our Easter brunch on Sunday. I created a cute little pan, verses using boring Styrofoam. Now being as broke as I am, I cheaped out and bought the stuff you use when making wedding bouquets and arrangements. It turned out to work pretty well, as it's green and kind of resembles grass. I also bought some cheap Easter "grass". I used my leftover frosting (the last quarter of the jar) to glue three sections of this flower stuff to the bottom of my pan. I then spread a very thin layer on top to act as a glue for the Easter grass.


Then I placed all the eggs in the grass and there you have it.



1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to try these MKAT. You're an amazing baker, sister and such a loving soul. AND, so many people will love it that you are finally sharing your baking secrets. Thanks for ruining my diet each week. It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete