Thursday, April 26, 2012

Purple, purple, purple.... & Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Strawberry butter cream frosting

Well, another birthday has been added to the books. My wonderful family, boyfriend, and friends threw me a surprise, purple themed birthday party at Wowzone. Pizza, bowling, and of course DQ cake. Going w/ the purple theme, I received a beautiful kitchen aid mixer..in which color?!


PURPLE! My favorite! My dad and I gave one of these to my mom when I was little, and I have always loved it! My sister, the amazing party planner, and my niece also gave me a ginormous box of every possible color of cupcake wrappers. They are so pretty - it is almost to hard to use them.

Of course, I had to try it out right away the next day. Having limited groceries in the house, I made a box of chocolate cake mix. Something easy for the first time! I also chose pink and purple polka dots for the wrappers!


I decided to make a butter cream frosting with the ingredients we had at the house.

2 sticks salted butter, at room temp
4 cups powdered sugar
3-4 tbsp skim milk
dash of vanilla
strawberry jello mix

Beat butter in your stand up mixer with the whisk attachment for about one minute. Add half of the powdered sugar, blend til combined. Add half of the milk and blend again. Repeat with the second half of ingredients. I learned a little trick from a good friend about coloring and flavoring frosting with a bit of jello mix for a quick option. I poured in a bit of jello mix, blended for a bit, and added a bit more until it was the flavor and consistency I wanted. This frosting has a bit of a "crunch" to it. I chose to use a 1M star tip to frost my cupcakes.





The pointy cupcakes were frosted from outside in, while the rose pattern is from inside out.



I brought these along for a picnic lunch we went to with my sister and niece today at Sibley Park. They were delicious! I can't wait to keep baking more goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment